Machining Capabilities of Kovar, Invar & Inconel
High-performance nickel alloys provide the high-strength and structural toughness that make them optimal for a wide selection of industry uses and applications.
- Kovar is a nickel-iron-cobalt alloy known for its excellent thermal expansion characteristics.
- Invar is a nickel-iron alloy that exhibits superior dimensional stability across extreme temperatures.
- Inconel is a family of nickel-chromium “superalloys”, all of which provide outstanding oxidation/corrosion resistance in high heat and high-pressure applications.
Fabrication of Kovar, Invar, & Inconel
Multiple processes can be combined to create dimensionally perfect parts that match your exact design requirements. Our fabrication capabilities include:
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel fineblanking
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel cnc machining
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel turning
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel wire EDM machining
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel grinding
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel lapping
- Kovar, Invar, and Inconel finishing and deburring
Industrial Applications & Uses for Machining Nickel Alloys
Many fabricators choose not to work with Kovar, Invar, or Inconel due to the challenges they present and the cost of these raw materials; however, the added difficulty and expense are not an issue for us. Thanks to our extensive experience with these alloys, we can produce precision parts that match even your most complex designs.
Kovar, Invar & Inconel all exhibit different mechanical characteristics and require unique considerations for accurate fabrication. As highly versatile nickel alloys, these materials are unaffected by extreme temperatures. They can be used in highly caustic environments, retaining their strength in high-temperature applications.
Kovar Machining Applications
Material properties of Kovar include producing a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) similar to glass. Application uses include tube lighting, x-ray tubes, microwave tubes, hermetic sealing for aerospace uses, and solar power technology.
Petersen Precision uses Kovar for sensor applications for the aerospace industry because it is not affected by heat or cold. It does not shrink or grow, proving to be an ideal material for aerospace applications.
Invar Fabrication Uses
As a low coefficient of thermal expansion nickel-alloy, Invar provides dimensional stability for a variety of applications. Some applications that benefit from Invar include aerospace molds, circuit breakers, magnetic shielding, and temperature regulators.
Inconel Machining Applications
Ideal for extreme environment applications, Inconel is useful for a wide range of industries. Popular fabrications for Inconel include marine applications such as boat propeller blades, aerospace uses like exhaust pipes, nuclear technology applications such as reactor cores, and more.
Alloy Fabrication Advantages from Petersen Precision
Benefits of working with Petersen Precision include:
- Over 30 years of nickel-alloy fabrication experience
- We can provide secondary services like high precision lapping, precision grinding, and stamping
- Application analysis that determines the best method for optimal geometries for high-performance
Find out more about our In-House Services for Kovar, Invar, & Inconel Alloys
Learn more about Petersen Precision's fabrication capabilities of Kovar, Invar, and Inconel today. We also offer in-house value-added services from Design for Manufacturing (DFM) to Tool & Die Manufacturing.
Contact us with any questions you have or request a quote to get started on your project with Petersen Precision today.